Sunday, August 12, 2007

Taking Time to Reflect: A Positive Outcome

With all of the changes that have occurred in my life in the past seven years, I am reminded there is always a bright side to every situation. Some say, "if life gives you lemons, make lemonade," or "every cloud has a silver lining," and how viewing your glass as "half empty" or "half full" helps determine the direction of your life. I agree, it's how we look at life that helps us get through the rough spots in our lives. On those days when I need quick, I recall an antidote I heard years ago.

It's a story about two children who were placed in separate rooms to observe their reactions.

The first child was placed in a room full of toys, treats and delights beyond all imagination. The second was placed in a room full of horse manure. Both children were left alone for a time to reflect.

Upon checking in on the first child, the response was one of extreme boredom. When asked what caused such boredom the child said, "I've play with all of it and there is nothing more to do. I'm bored!"

However, upon checking in on the second child, the response was that of sheer delight! When asked what caused such happiness the child said, "Where there's this much poop, there's got to be a pony!"

Today a friend reminded me once again, that no matter how full of "poop" our lives get at times, there are still ponies running wild! ;)

No comments: