Sunday, April 6, 2008

Adding "Ms. Plumber" to my resume ...

Today we went to visit my parents to share in celebration of my youngest brother's birthday. While we were there my oldest brother announced that the restroom had sprung a leak; the toilet tank had broken and spilled its contents on the floor as well as my brother. Thank goodness it was the top tank and not the bottom bowl!

Anyway, my parents went to the store and purchased a new toilet from Lowe's. They had hoped to simply pick up a tank for the existing bowl but they found that the larger tanks have been outlawed. As we started the repair work my mom said, "They just don't make things like they used to, after all it only lasted 32 years"! We all got a good chuckle out of that one.

So, Dad and I spent the evening replacing the toilet, a real father-daughter bonding event. Two of my other brothers even got in on the act as they were needed to tighten down the bolts holding the tank in place. It was a bit loose and was allowing a small drip from the seal where the washer was supposed to stop such activity.

I'm happy to announce that I will now add "Ms. Plumber" to my resume. I am now able to fix the insides of a toilet, replace a toilet, and clean the drains in both the sink and bathtub. It may not seem like much but it sure saves on the finances, especially when the going rate for a plumber is over $80 per hour.

No comments: