Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Lose Weight Live Longer?

Yesterday we were watching one of the daytime talk shows and a guest doctor was talking about general health, lengthening ones lifespan, and sampling some healthy juices. Later on in the evening I asked Mr.D if it scared him to grow older. He said only if he couldn't move around like a lot of seniors are nowadays. It's odd, but my and great grandfather (1880-1997) age 97, and my grandmother (1911-2003) age 92, both ate a diet of fried foods, red meats, and vegetables cooked in fatback and bacon grease.

You would have thought that he would have had to lose weight, but he ate sensibly and got regular exercise. He worked for my grandfather at his "Bait & Tackle Shop" well into his eighties. He used to give us a penny for the gumball machine, and if we got a speckled ball we could trade it for any item in the store that cost 25 cents. He kept all of the speckled balls in a cleaned out cigar box under the counter. I loved trading mine for a sweet pastry! Now those are some sweet memories!

So, which is really true? Is how you prepare your food and how you eat more important than what you eat?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd say balancing out the fried stuff with exercise, and not eating too much of it, like your elders, is probably better than eating really healthy and living a typically sedentary American lifestyle. Then there are also issues of genetics, as well as the fact that eating what you like makes you happier, which also contributes to longevity. Certainly, if I tried cutting out all fats and sugars, I'd WANT to die young....

goldengoddess said...

Thanks, Dr Jay. It makes sense. I've often wondered why some are able to eat what doctors say is not healthy for you and yet live a long life. I wonder if it's the preservatives? There were times when I wondered if my great grandfather wasn't full of them. He was also a stickler about being regular, so he religiously ate his ex-lax bar each morning right after breakfast. Sensible eating without over doing the "sweet" stuff, and regular exercise (could be as simple as a two mile walk per day) should help maintain good health. I know I wouldn't want to give up my blueberries and whipped topping! :)

goldengoddess said...

Thank you so much, Sarah! I appreciate your readership and your comments are always welcome. My blog has been a great source of enjoyment, and a fun way for me to share some of the things going on in my life. Thanks again for stopping by and for your nice comment. :)