Friday, November 7, 2008

Teens & Appropriate Jobs

Ryan started his new job this week and is finding it a bit overwhelming. He is cashiering at a local gasoline station and one of the duties is to sell tobacco and alcohol to customers. Most adults are able to handle this since they have life experiences that help them identify those that are trying to pull something, or are too drunk to have another drink. For someone who is not accustomed to dealing with people that are deceitful or under the influence of drugs or alcohol, it can be very intimidating. His new boss has told him that if after a week's training if he feels that this line of work is not something he wants to continue doing that she will understand.

At this point he is already looking for another job at something a little less intimidating, and less danger of personal and physical harm. This past week alone there were over 20 robberies in our area, most at convenience stores. Apparently the store that Ryan works at keeps a scanner on site to stay atop these types of situations. Regardless, he is not comfortable with either the prospect of selling tobacco or alcohol to the wrong person, or putting himself in harms way should there be a robbery at his station.

Hopefully one of the jobs he has applied for at the grocery store will call soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read in one of your posts that one of your job's is a bookkeeper. How do you like that? I graduated with a B.A. in Accounting, but I have never used my degree for fear of me hating my job day in and day out. Do you like Accounting?

goldengoddess said...

Hi Virginia,

Thank you for stopping by to read my blog and for your kind comment about the post titled "Making the Most of a Day". Yes, I really do like my accounting job! I love math, so this was a good way to keep up my skills. Though I’ve never attended college for accounting, I did take bookkeeping at the community college, and have worked in AR/AP positions before this job. What I like most about this particular job is that it’s a family owned business, something that seems rare in today’s marketplace.

:)