Sunday, June 15, 2008

Paraffin or Wax?

If you had asked me a few years ago which I preferred when it comes to the type of substance my candles were made of, I would have given you a puzzled look. But today, I understand them a bit better. My daughter sells candles as a hobby, and when she told me that there was a difference in how the two burned I was surprised. I thought all candles were made of wax. Apparently not. You see if I understand it correctly, wax melts away from the flame and runs down the side of the candle as it is used up, whereas paraffin melts as the flame heats it up and it evaporates as it continues to burn. You need to make sure that your paraffin candle is in a container made for burning this type of candle as it needs a place to liquefy and then harden again after each use.

I love my paraffin candles!

No comments: